The Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac Rally Car is a rally car based on the Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac concept car. Developed by the Polyphony Digital staff, it first appears in Gran Turismo Concept, and has appeared in every main game since, with the exception of Gran Turismo Sport. It is also featured in Gran Turismo PSP.
"An original version of the CZ-3 infused with the DNA of the Lancer Evolution."
As a future vision of what a compact car would look like, Mitsubishi announced its next-generation concept car — the CZ-3 Tarmac — at the 2001 Tokyo Auto Show. Sadly, this tautly-styled and affordable small car never made it to production, at least not with this crisp sheetmetal; a less impressive-looking version later appeared as the Mitsubishi Colt in Japan... so the Gran Turismo team took it upon themselves to create a rally version!
A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution powertrain has been grafted onto the CZ-3 Tarmac, making it one monster of a compact hatchback. The engine is the familiar turbocharged 4G63, a 2.0-liter DOHC inline-4. With the World Rally Championship in mind, maximum output was boosted to over 300 PS and, in accordance with race regulations in the world's most popular rally series. has had an air intake fitted with a restrictor.
An all-wheel-drive system has been utilized, with an active torque-split system in place of the AYC/ACD from the stock Lancer Evolution. This computer-controlled torque-split system not only distributes power between the front and rear wheels, but also transfers torque laterally between the left and right side wheels as well. Traction has been improved, but there's a significant increase in sharpness of grip at turn-in. In addition to the customary aerodynamic aids of cars of this nature, the CZ-3 Tarmac also boasts an extra-large rear wing.
The player can unlock this car by winning a Professional Level race at Autumn Ring.
This car can only be obtained by winning the Grand Canyon Rally on Medium.
This car can be purchased for 750,000 Credits.
As a Standard car, the Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac Rally Car can be purchased from the Used Car Dealership for 292,283 Credits. It is a Level 12 car.
This car can be purchased for 300,000 Credits. It is a simplified car.
- The livery of this car is based on that of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Rally Car '97.
- In Gran Turismo Concept, the player can choose the color of the stripes on the car's side. The colors to choose from are: red, blue, green, and black. However, starting with Gran Turismo 4, the car is available only with red stripes.
- Except in GT Concept, the car carries Grand Canyon rally plates, even in both GT5 and GT6, where Grand Canyon is no longer a playable track.
- In GT Concept, the car carries a rally plate that resembles those of Rallye Monte-Carlo instead.
- In GT Concept, the car originally had Eneos logos on the front and on the sides (referring to Nippon Mitsubishi Oil sponsoring the Evolution IV rally car, as Eneos is the successor company to the former); said logos were replaced with "Polyphony Digital" logos starting with GT4.